Mathematics at Elm Park
Mathematics teaches children how to make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. It enables children to understand relationships and patterns in both number and space in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, children learn to appreciate the contribution made by many cultures to the development and application of mathematics.
At Elm Park, our aims are:
- To develop the highest possible standards of teaching and learning of maths throughout the school.
- To ensure that each child is provided with a balanced mathematics education which encompasses all aspects of the National Curriculum.
- To provide each child with a range of mathematical strategies, appropriate to their age and ability.
- To enable the children to apply the strategies they have learned to solve problems in different situations.
- To raise a child’s self-esteem and confidence when working with maths.
- To promote enjoyment of learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion.
- To ensure consistency and progression for children’s learning as they progress through the school.
- To involve parents in helping their child make the best possible progress in maths.
Details on how to help your child with maths at home can be found below: